[Wrfems] Problem with grib2 winds in AWIPS

Douglas Tilly Douglas.Tilly at noaa.gov
Wed Sep 9 13:23:49 MDT 2009

Bob et al.,

I'm having a problem with AWIPS decoding wind data and I'm wondering if
it's related to the issue mentioned below.  Our AWIPS is decoding the
grib2 files and storing everything except for wind data (as far as I can
tell anyway).  I dug through the grib2 decoder log on dx3 and found
where it's storing data for uW, but there's no mention of vW...not even
a mention of it not being decoded.

I double checked the post_utils.pm file and couldn't find the -nv flag
under the grib12 subroutine.  So, I added this flag to check and I'm
still having the same problem.

The grib2 files mention both UGRD and VGRD, so it appears this is
working fine.  Why would it it be in the grib2 file, but not show up in
AWIPS?  Any thoughts?

Doug