[wrfems] temperatures crashing during night over water

Bryan Mroczka Bryan.Mroczka at noaa.gov
Thu Oct 27 11:05:02 MDT 2011

I have been playing around with the EMS3.2beta release and have had some
issues with my overnight 2meter temperatures over water/ocean. As soon
as the model thinks the sun has set, it begins a rapid downward trend in
the temps over the water. This eventually leads in a short time to some
very unrealistic values. The issue seems to be related to the SST_SKIN
variable. The default in the run_physics.conf file states that this
should be set to 1. However, when I reset this variable to 0, the issue
of low level temps over water goes away. I have tried several different
short/long radiation options, always with basically the same result.

Can anyone think of why this may be occurring with the SST_SKIN=1
variable set. I have attached my run_physics.conf file in hopes that
someone might see a conflict in my configuration.

Thanks
Bryan
WFO Tallahassee, FL
--
_Bryan Mroczka_
bryan.mroczka at noaa.gov
Meteorologist
National Weather Service - Tallahassee, FL